Monday, July 9, 2007

The Numbers Are In: June sample

Cyclists (total #): 119
Commuters (#): 49
Commuters (% of total # of Cyclists): 40%

Cyclists (average # per day): 10.8
Commuters (average # per day): 4.3

Cyclists (range): 4 – 19
Commuters (range): 0 - 14

(Data was collected for 11 Days in June.)


How is the data collected?
This is an informal collection of data and only a sample of the actually number of cyclists and commuters in the Albuquerque area. Obviously, I can't ride everywhere in a single day. All counts are done on my way to work, along the route I ride every day. The time of day varies (this information was not included here). I do not include myself in any of the data. I have a specific set of guidelines I follow when counting and distinguishing commuters from cyclists.

A “Cyclist” is anyone and everyone riding a bicycle. In the above data, the numbers include commuters, roadies, mountain bikers, recreational riders -- everyone on two wheels that I saw.

A “Commuter” is anyone riding a bicycle whose primary goal is to transport themselves from one destination to another (i.e. going to work, going to the store, going to school, etc.). The one observable trait I regularly use to distinguish a commuter from people riding for exercise or leisure is a loaded backpack or panniers; the cyclist is carrying “cargo”. Other observable characteristics include casual clothing, a casual pace, and moving along roadways in a bike lane or on a bike path.

If I cannot get a good look at a rider (because the person is too far away) or if there is even the slightest question in my mind as to the rider's primary purpose, I count that person only as a “Cyclist”.

No comments: